1. Nadab and Abihu, sons of Aaron, each took his censer, put fire in it and incense on the fire, and presented unlawful fire before Yahweh, fire which he had not commanded them to present.
2. Then from Yahweh's presence a flame leaped out and burned them to death in the presence of Yahweh.
3. And Moses said to Aaron, "That is what Yahweh meant when he said: 'I will show my holiness through those who approach me, and before all the people I will show my glory." And Aaron had to remain silent.
4. Moses called Mishael and Elzaphan, sons of Aaron's uncle Uzziel, and said to them, "Come and take the corpses of your brothers far away from the sanctuary, out of the camp."
5. They came and carried them away, still in their shirts, out of the camp as Moses had commanded.
6. Moses said to Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, "Do not leave your hair uncombed nor tear your clothes to show that you are mourning; lest you die and the punishment extend to the whole community. All the people of Israel shall mourn the death of your brothers, who died because of Yahweh's fire.
7. But you shall not leave the entrance to the Tent of Meeting, lest you die; for the anointing oil of Yahweh is on you." And they obeyed Moses.
8. Yahweh spoke to Aaron; he said:
9. "Before coming to the Tent of Meeting, you and your sons with you, do not drink wine or strong drink; lest you die. This is a law for all your descendants for all time to come,
10. so that you may be able to recognize the difference between what belongs to God and what is for general use, between what is clean and what is unclean.
11. For you must teach the people of Israel all the laws that Yahweh has given for them through Moses."
12. Moses said to Aaron and his two remaining sons, Eleazar and Ithamar, "Take the grain offering that is left over from Yahweh's burnt offering, and eat it without leaven beside the altar, because it is a most holy thing.
13. Eat it in a holy place for it is the share of Yahweh's burnt offering which belongs to you and your sons. This is what Yahweh commanded me.
14. The breast that was offered up and the hind leg that was set aside you will eat in some place that is clean, you and your sons and your daughters with you; this is the share of the peace offerings of the people of Israel that belongs to you and your sons.
15. The hind leg that was set aside and the breast that was offered up, when the fat was burned, belong to you, to you and your sons with you, after they have been presented before Yahweh by the gesture of offering, because Yahweh has commanded this forever."
16. Then Moses inquired about the goat offered as a sacrifice for sin, and found that they had burned it. He was angry with Eleazar and Ithamar, Aaron's two remaining sons.
17. "Why," he asked, "did you not eat this goat in the holy place? For it is a most holy thing given to you to bear and take away the fault of the community.
18. Since its blood was not taken inside the sanctuary, you should have eaten its flesh there, as I commanded you."
19. Aaron said to Moses, "They have offered their sacrifice for sin and their burnt offering before Yahweh on this day of mourning. If I had eaten the goat offered in sacrifice for sin today, would that have seemed good to Yahweh?"
20. And when Moses heard this, he was satisfied.