1. When Abram was ninety-nine years old, Yahweh appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty. Walk in my presence and be without blame!
2. I will make a covenant between myself and you, and I will multiply your race."
3. Abram fell face down and God said to him,
4. "This is my covenant with you: you will be the father of a multitude of nations.
5. No longer will you be called Abram, but Abraham, because I will make you the father of a multitude of nations.
6. I will make you more and more famous; I will multiply your descendants; nations shall spring from you, kings shall be among your descendants.
7. And I will establish a covenant, an everlasting covenant between myself and you and your descendants after you; from now on I will be your God and the God of your descendants after you, for generations to come.
8. I will give to you and your descendants after you the land you are living in, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession and I will be the God of your race."
9. God said to Abraham, "For your part, you shall keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you, generation after generation.
10. This is my covenant with you, that you will keep, you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised;
11. you shall circumcise your foreskin and that will be the sign of the covenant between me and you.
12. When he is eight days old, every male among you will be circumcised, generation after generation;
13. those born in your household or bought from a foreigner to be slaves. Whether born in your household or bought to be slaves, they must be circumcised. So my covenant will be written in your flesh as an everlasting covenant.
14. Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people for having broken my covenant."
15. God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai, your wife, no longer are you to call her Sarai, but Sarah.
16. I will bless her, and I will give you a son by her. I will bless her and from her will come nations; kings and peoples shall come from her."
17. Then Abraham fell face down, and he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? And can Sarah who is ninety have a child?"
18. And Abraham said to God, "If only you would accept Ishmael as yours!"
19. But God said, "Not at all! It is Sarah, your wife, who will give birth to your son and you will name him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him and his descendants after him forever.
20. As for Ishmael, I heard you. I will bless him and make him fruitful, and I will multiply his race. He shall be the father of twelve princes and I will make of him a great nation.
21. But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, the child Sarah will have this time next year."
22. When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went away from him.
23. Abraham then took Ishmael, his son, as well as all those born in his house and all those he had bought to be slaves, all the males in the household of Abraham, and circumcised their foreskins that same day as God had told him.
24. Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised,
25. and his son, Ishmael, was thirteen.
26. Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised that same day.
27. And every male in his household, whether born in his household or bought with money from a foreigner, was circumcised with him.