1. David asked, "Is there anyone left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for the sake of Jonathan?"
2. So they called a servant of Saul, named Ziba, and brought him to David who asked, "So you are Ziba?" He replied, "I am your servant."
3. Then the king asked him, "Is there still someone of the house of Saul to whom I can give God's favor?" Ziba answered the king, "A son of Jonathan whose feet are crippled still lives."
4. The king asked him, "Where is he?" And Ziba replied, "He is in the house of Machir, son of Ammiel, at Lodebar."
5. So King David sent for him and had him brought from the house of Machir, son of Ammiel, at Lodebar.
6. When Mepibaal, son of Jonathan, son of Saul arrived, he fell on the ground and paid homage to David who said, "Mepibaal!" He replied, "Your servant listens."
7. David then told him, "Do not be afraid. I will do you a favor for the sake of your father Jonathan and give you back all the land of Saul your father. Besides, you shall always eat at my table."
8. He bowed down and said, "What is your servant that you should show concern for a dead dog like myself?"
9. The king called Ziba, Saul's servant, and said to him, "I have turned over to your master's son everything that Saul and his family possessed.
10. You yourself, your sons and servants shall till the land for him and carry in the harvest so that your master's family may have food, although your master's son Mepibaal shall always eat at my table." Ziba, who had fifteen sons and twenty servants
11. said to the king, "Your servant will do whatever my lord the king commands. Yet Mepibaal ate at my table like a king's son."
12. Mepibaal had a young son named Mica; and all who lived in Ziba's house became Mepibaal's servants.
13. But Mepibaal lived in Jerusalem for he always ate at the king's table. He was lame in both feet.