1. Josiah was eight years old when he began to govern, and he reigned for thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother was Jedidah, daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath.
2. He did everything that was right in the eyes of Yahweh, and followed in the footsteps of David, his father, without turning aside either to the right or to the left.
3. In the eighteenth year of his reign, King Josiah sent his secretary Shaphan, son of Azaliah, son of Meshullam, to the House of Yahweh, saying,
4. "Go up to the high priest Hilkiah and give him the amount of money which the people offer for the House of Yahweh, and that which the gatekeepers have collected, and when these have been smelted down,
5. let them turn it over to those in charge of the House of Yahweh.
6. It shall be given to those carpenters and construction workers who do the repairs of the House. In the same way, they shall buy the wood and stones needed for the repair of the House.
7. But do not ask from them any account of the money, for they are honorable men."
8. At that moment Hilkiah, the high priest, said to Shaphan, the secretary, "I have found the Book of the Law in the House of Yahweh." And he entrusted the Book to Shaphan who read it.
9. Then Shaphan went to the king and said, "We have gathered the money in the House, and this has been turned over to the caretakers of the House to make the repairs."
10. And Shaphan added, "The priest Hilkiah has turned over a book to me." And Shaphan read the book to the king.
11. When the king heard the contents of the book, he tore his clothes and
12. commanded Hilkiah, Ahikam, Achbor, the secretary Shaphan, and Asaiah, his minister, to do the following,
13. "Go and consult Yahweh about the threats in this book which you have found. Consult him for me, for the people and for the whole of Judah, since our fathers did not listen to what this book says nor to its ordinances. This is why the anger of Yahweh is ready to burn against us."
14. The priest Hilkiah, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan and Asaiah went to consult the prophetess Huldah, wife of Shallum, son of Tikva, son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. She lived in Jerusalem, in the new city.
15. She answered them,
16. "You will say to the one who sent you to me: This is what Yahweh says: I shall bring evil upon this place and upon its inhabitants according to all the words of the book which the king of Judah has read,
17. for this people have abandoned me and they have burned incense in honor of other gods. Because of all they have done, I am angry about this place, and the fire of my anger will not be quenched.
18. You shall deliver this answer to the king of Judah, who has sent you to consult Yahweh: Yahweh, the God of Israel says this - The warnings in this book shall not reach you,
19. for your heart has been touched and you have done penance in the presence of Yahweh when you heard what I have said against this place and its inhabitants, that this place shall be desolate and cursed. You have torn your garments and wept before me, and I have heard you, says Yahweh.
20. Therefore, you shall join your fathers; you shall die and be buried in peace, without seeing any of the evils I shall send against this place."