1. Abram went up from Egypt to the Negeb, he and his wife, with all he had and Lot with him.
2. Now Abram was very rich in flocks, silver and gold.
3. As he journeyed on, he went from the Negeb as far as Bethel, to the place where he first pitched his tent between Bethel and Ai
4. at the spot where he had formerly made an altar and called on the Name of Yahweh.
5. Lot who went with Abram also had flocks, cattle and tents.
6. The land was not sufficient to allow them to stay together, for their possessions were too great for them to live together.
7. A quarrel arose between the herdsmen of Abram's flock and those of Lot. (The Canaanites and the Perizzites were living in the land at the time.)
8. Abram said to Lot, "Don't let there be a dispute between you and me, nor between my herdsmen and yours, since we are brothers!
9. Isn't the whole land there before you? Let us part company. If you go to the left, I will go to the right; if you go to the right, I will go to the left."
10. Lot looked up and saw the whole valley of the Jordan: how well it was watered! Before Yahweh destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, this was like one of Yahweh's gardens, like the country of Egypt, on coming to Zoar.
11. Lot chose for himself all the Jordan valley and journeyed eastward. In this way they separated from each other.
12. Abram settled in the country of Canaan while Lot lived among the towns of the plain and moved his tent as far as Sodom.
13. Now the men of Sodom were wicked, sinning greatly against Yahweh.
14. Yahweh said to Abram after Lot had left him, "Raise your eyes and look from where you are, towards the north, the south, the east and the west;
15. all the land you see I will give to you and your descendants forever.
16. I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; if the grains of the dust can be counted, then your descendants may be counted.
17. Come, travel through the length and breadth of the land, for it is to you that I am giving it."
18. So Abram moved his tent and came to live by the oak of Mamre at Hebron. There he built an altar to Yahweh.