2. But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
3. For I was envious at the foolish, [when] I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4. For [there are] no bands in their death: but their strength [is] firm.
5. They [are] not in trouble [as other] men; neither are they plagued like [other] men.
6. Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them [as] a garment.
7. Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
8. They are corrupt, and speak wickedly [concerning] oppression: they speak loftily.
9. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
10. Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full [cup] are wrung out to them.
11. And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?
12. Behold, these [are] the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase [in] riches.
13. Verily I have cleansed my heart [in] vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
15. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend [against] the generation of thy children.
16. When I thought to know this, it [was] too painful for me;
17. Until I went into the sanctuary of God; [then] understood I their end.
18. Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19. How are they [brought] into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
20. As a dream when [one] awaketh; [so], O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.
21. Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
22. So foolish [was] I, and ignorant: I was [as] a beast before thee.
23. Nevertheless I [am] continually with thee: thou hast holden [me] by my right hand.
24. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me [to] glory.
25. Whom have I in heaven [but thee]? and [there is] none upon earth [that] I desire beside thee.
26. My flesh and my heart faileth: [but] God [is] the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
27. For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.
28. But [it is] good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.