1. Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because [there is] no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
2. By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
3. Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.
4. Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for thy people [are] as they that strive with the priest.
5. Therefore shalt thou fall in the day, and the prophet also shall fall with thee in the night, and I will destroy thy mother.
6. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
7. As they were increased, so they sinned against me: [therefore] will I change their glory into shame.
8. They eat up the sin of my people, and they set their heart on their iniquity.
9. And there shall be, like people, like priest: and I will punish them for their ways, and reward them their doings.
10. For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit whoredom, and shall not increase: because they have left off to take heed to the LORD.
11. Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.
12. My people ask counsel at their stocks, and their staff declareth unto them: for the spirit of whoredoms hath caused [them] to err, and they have gone a whoring from under their God.
13. They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and burn incense upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and elms, because the shadow thereof [is] good: therefore your daughters shall commit whoredom, and your spouses shall commit adultery.
14. I will not punish your daughters when they commit whoredom, nor your spouses when they commit adultery: for themselves are separated with whores, and they sacrifice with harlots: therefore the people [that] doth not understand shall fall.
15. Though thou, Israel, play the harlot, [yet] let not Judah offend; and come not ye unto Gilgal, neither go ye up to Bethaven, nor swear, The LORD liveth.
16. For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place.
17. Ephraim [is] joined to idols: let him alone.
18. Their drink is sour: they have committed whoredom continually: her rulers [with] shame do love, Give ye.
19. The wind hath bound her up in her wings, and they shall be ashamed because of their sacrifices.