1. Oracle against Nineveh. This is the book of the vision which Nahum of Elkosh has seen.
2. Yahweh is a jealous and avenging God, Yahweh takes vengeance in his wrath;
3. Yahweh is slow to anger though immense in power. He does not overlook the evil. In storm and whirlwind is his path; clouds are the dust of his feet.
4. He rebukes the sea and dries it; he drains rivers of their water. Bashan and Carmel wither; the blossoms of Lebanon fade.
5. Before him the mountains quake and the hills melt; the earth trembles and all the peoples.
6. Who can stand before his fury? Who can face his blazing anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are rent asunder.
7. Yahweh is good for those who hope; in the day of trouble he shelters them. He remembers those who trust in him
8. when the flood engulfs them. He utterly destroys his adversaries and pursues his foes into darkness. What are you plotting against him? Yahweh will bring it to an end,
9. oppression will not rise a second time. Yahweh gives his foe no quarter, he stores up fury for his enemy.
10. They will be entangled devoured like thorns, and be consumed like dry stubble.
11. Yahweh will take off Juda his enemy the one who plots evil.
12. Thus Yahweh says to Judah: "Though they be strong and many they will be annihilated. Though I had afflicted you, no more shall I afflict you.
13. I will break their yoke from your neck and tear away your shackles."
14. To the people of Nineveh, here is Yahweh's decree. "No descendants shall bear your name. I will abolish from your temple the carved image and the molten idol. I will make your tomb an object of shame."