1 Samuel, 12
1. Samuel spoke to the Israelites, "Listen, I have paid attention to all that you have told me and have given you a king.
2. From now on, the king is here to lead you. As for me, I am old and my hair gray. My sons are with you. I have led you from my youth, and I have done so until this day.
3. Now, I am here. Answer me before Yahweh and his anointed: Whose ox have I taken? Whose ass have I stolen? Whom have I cheated? Whom have I oppressed? Have I taken a bribe from anyone? If so, tell me, and I will restore it to you."
4. But they said, "You have not cheated or oppressed us; you have not stolen anything from anyone."
5. Then Samuel said, "Yahweh is witness against you, and his anointed is witness this day, that you have not found anything in my hand." And they answered, "He is witness."
6. Samuel then said to the people, "Yahweh is witness, he who sent Moses and Aaron and brought your ancestors out of the land of Egypt.
7. Now, stand still, that I may confront you with all the deeds of Yahweh who saved you and your ancestors.
8. Jacob went to Egypt and the Egyptians oppressed your ancestors. Then they cried to Yahweh and he sent Moses and Aaron. They brought your ancestors out of Egypt and brought them to this land.
9. But they forgot Yahweh, their God, and he delivered them into the hands of Sisera, commander of the army of Jabin, king of Hazor, into the hands of the Philistines, and into the hands of the king of Moab who fought against them.
10. Then your ancestors cried to Yahweh and said: 'We have sinned, forsaking Yahweh and serving the Baals and the Ashteroth. But now, deliver us out of the hands of our enemies and we will serve you.'
11. And Yahweh sent Jerubbaal and Barak, Jephthah and Samuel, and delivered you out of the hands of your enemies from all sides, so that you lived in safety in your land.
12. Now, when you saw that Nahash, the king of the Ammonites, attacked you, you said to me: 'No! Let a king rule over us,' although Yahweh your God was your king.
13. Yet Yahweh has given you the king whom you have chosen, whom you have asked for.
14. May you fear Yahweh and serve him! May you listen to him and not go against his commandments! May both you and the king who reigns over you follow Yahweh, your God!
15. But if you will not listen to Yahweh and if you break his commandments, his hand will be against you and your king.
16. Now wait awhile that you may see the wonder which Yahweh will do before you.
17. Is it not wheat harvest today? I will call on Yahweh that he may send thunder and rain. So you shall know and see that you have gone very wrong in asking for another king."
18. So Samuel called on Yahweh who sent thunder and rain on that day. Then all the people greatly feared Yahweh and Samuel.
19. The people said to Samuel, "Pray to Yahweh, your God, for your servants so we may not die. For we have added to our sins this evil of asking for a king."
20. Samuel told the people, "Fear not! You have done evil, but now you must not turn away from Yahweh. Serve him, instead, with all your heart.
21. Do not go after these useless and vain idols that are unable to save.
22. Yahweh will not cast away his people because of his great Name, since he has been pleased to make you his people.
23. As for me, how can I commit the sin of ceasing to pray for you? I will continue to instruct you in the good and right way.
24. Only fear Yahweh and serve him faithfully with all your heart, for you have seen the wonderful things he has done for you.
25. But if you still persist in wickedness, both you and your king shall be swept away."