1. Yahweh said to Abram, "Leave your country, your family and your father's house, for the land I will show you.
2. I will make you a great nation. I will bless you and make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
3. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you, I will curse, and in you all peoples of the earth will be blessed."
4. So Abram went as Yahweh had told him, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran.
5. Abram took Sarai, his wife, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran. They set out for the land of Canaan. They arrived at Canaan.
6. Abram traveled through the country as far as Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites were in the land.
7. Yahweh appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." There he built an altar to Yahweh who had appeared to him.
8. From there he went on to the mountains east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. There also he built an altar to Yahweh and called on the name of Yahweh.
9. Then Abram set out in the direction of Negeb.
10. There was famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to stay there for some time, for the famine was severe in the land.
11. Just as he was about to enter Egypt he said to Sarai, his wife, "Now I know you are a beautiful woman.
12. When the Egyptians see you they will say: 'That is his wife!' They will then kill me, but they will let you live.
13. Say that you are my sister, so that they treat me well on account of you and my life be spared because of you."
14. In fact, when Abram arrived in Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.
15. Pharaoh's officials saw her and praised her to Pharaoh. The woman was taken into Pharaoh's house
16. and because of her he dealt well with Abram; he received sheep, cattle, donkeys, menservants, maidservants, she-asses and camels.
17. But Yahweh inflicted severe plagues on Pharaoh and his household because of Sarai.
18. So Pharaoh summoned Abram and said, "What have you done to me?
19. Why did you say: 'She's my sister,' so that I took her for my wife. Now, here is your wife! Take her and go!"
20. And Pharaoh gave orders to his men regarding Abram, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and all that was his.