1. A Canticle in steps. If the Lord had not been with us, let Israel now say it:
2. if the Lord had not been with us, when men rose up against us,
3. perhaps they would have swallowed us alive. When their fury was enraged against us,
4. perhaps the waters would have engulfed us.
5. Our soul has passed through a torrent. Perhaps, our soul had even passed through intolerable water.
6. Blessed is the Lord, who has not given us into the harm of their teeth.
7. Our soul has been snatched away like a sparrow from the snare of the hunters. The snare has been broken, and we have been freed.
8. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.