1. Sarai, Abram's wife had not borne him a child, but she had an Egyptian servant named Hagar,
2. and she said to Abram, "Now, since Yahweh has kept me from having children, go to my servant; perhaps I shall have a child by her." Abram agreed to what Sarai said.
3. Abram had been in the land of Canaan ten years when Sarai, his wife, took Hagar, her Egyptian maid, and gave her to Abram her husband as wife.
4. He went in to Hagar and she became pregnant. When she was aware of this, she began to despise her mistress.
5. Sarai said to Abram, "May this injury done to me be yours. I put my servant in your arms and now that she knows she is pregnant, I count for nothing in her eyes. Let Yahweh judge between me and you."
6. Abram said to Sarai, "Your servant is in your power; do with her as you please." Then Sarai treated her so badly that she ran away.
7. The angel of Yahweh found her near a spring in the wilderness
8. and said to her, "Hagar, servant of Sarai, where have you come from and where are you going?" She said, "I'm running away from Sarai, my mistress."
9. The angel of Yahweh said to her, "Go back to your mistress and humbly submit yourself to her."
10. The angel of Yahweh said to her, "I will so increase your descendants, that they will be too numerous to be counted."
11. Then the angel of Yahweh said to her, "Now you are with child and you will have a son, and you shall name him Ishmael, for Yahweh has heard your distress.
12. He shall be a wild ass of a man, his hand against everyone and everyone's hand against him, defiant towards all his brothers."
13. Hagar gave to Yahweh who spoke to her the name of El Roi, for she said: "I have seen the One who sees me."
14. That is why this well is called the well of Lahai-roi. It is between Kadesh and Bered.
15. Hagar gave birth to a son and Abram called the child Hagar bore him, Ishmael.
16. Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar gave birth to Ishmael.