1. The word of Yahweh was addressed to Hosea son of Beeri, during the reign of Ussiah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah in Judah, and of Jeroboam son of Joash, in Israel.
2. When Yahweh began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, "Go, take for your wife a woman involved in sacred prostitution and have children born of prostitution, for the land is wholeheartedly lapsing into prostitution and turning away from Yahweh."
3. So he married Gomer, daughter of Diblaim. And she was with child and bore a son.
4. Yahweh told him, "Name him Jezreel, for I will soon punish the family of Jehu for the massacre at Jezreel. I will put an end to the kingdom of Israel.
5. The days are coming when Israel will be defeated in the Valley of Jezreel."
6. Gomer was again with child and gave birth to a daughter. Yahweh said to Hosea, "Name her Unloved, for I will have no more love for the nation of Israel, nor will I forgive them."
8. After weaning Unloved, Gomer was with child again and had another son.
9. Yahweh said, "Name him Not-my-people, for you are not my people, nor AM - I for you."