1. Surely God is good to Israel, I mean, to the clean of heart.
2. But, as for me, I almost stumbled, I nearly lost my foothold,
3. for I was envious of the arrogant, when I saw the wicked prosper.
4. For they suffer no pain; they are strong and sound of body,
5. free from troubles common to mortals; they are not stricken by human ills.
6. That is why pride becomes their necklace, and violence the robe that covers them.
7. Evil comes from their callous hearts, boundless evil from their corrupt minds.
8. They scoff and speak with malice, and they threaten arrogantly.
9. Their mouths defy the heavens and their tongues dictate on earth.
10. People, therefore, look up to them because they are well-watered.
11. "Does God see?" they say. "Has the Most High some knowledge of this?
12. Such are the wicked - always carefree while they rake in riches.
13. In vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence
14. if all day long I am stricken and punished every morning."
15. Had I spoken like this, I would not be acting as one of your children.
16. Although I tried to understand this, it was difficult for me,
17. until I entered the secrets of God. Then I perceived their approaching doom.
18. You place them on slippery ground and make them fall into the pit.
19. How suddenly they are destroyed, completely swept away in terror!
20. As one awakes from a nightmare, so when you arise, O Lord, you shake them off like a dream.
21. When my heart was embittered, and my spirit distraught
22. it was folly, not wisdom; I did not know you better than the beasts.
23. Yet I am always with you; you hold my right hand,
24. you guide me on the way you chose and your Glory brings me along.
25. I have no one in heaven but you; on earth I desire nothing but you.
26. My flesh and my heart waste away for you, O God, O my rock, you are mine forever.
27. Those who abandon you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28. But as for me, my joy is to be near God; I have made the Lord my refuge, and I will proclaim all his works.