1. Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the LORD.
2. And the LORD said to Satan, "Whence have you come?" Satan answered the LORD, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."
3. And the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you moved me against him, to destroy him without cause."
4. Then Satan answered the LORD, "Skin for skin! All that a man has he will give for his life.
5. But put forth thy hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face."
6. And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, he is in your power; only spare his life."
7. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD, and afflicted Job with loathsome sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
8. And he took a potsherd with which to scrape himself, and sat among the ashes.
9. Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God, and die."
10. But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips.
11. Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each from his own place, Eli'phaz the Te'manite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Na'amathite. They made an appointment together to come to condole with him and comfort him.
12. And when they saw him from afar, they did not recognize him; and they raised their voices and wept; and they rent their robes and sprinkled dust upon their heads toward heaven.
13. And they sat with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great.