1 Thessalonians, 5
1. But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you.
2. For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
3. When people say, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them as travail comes upon a woman with child, and there will be no escape.
4. But you are not in darkness, brethren, for that day to surprise you like a thief.
5. For you are all sons of light and sons of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness.
6. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober.
7. For those who sleep sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night.
8. But, since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.
9. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
10. who died for us so that whether we wake or sleep we might live with him.
11. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
12. But we beseech you, brethren, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
13. and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.
14. And we exhort you, brethren, admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.
15. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.
16. Rejoice always,
17. pray constantly,
18. give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
19. Do not quench the Spirit,
20. do not despise prophesying,
21. but test everything; hold fast what is good,
22. abstain from every form of evil.
23. May the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24. He who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.
25. Brethren, pray for us.
26. Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.
27. I adjure you by the Lord that this letter be read to all the brethren.
28. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.