1. Thus says Yahweh: Where is the writ of divorce with which I dismissed your mother? Or to which of my creditors have I sold you? It was for your sins that you were sold, for your crimes that your mother was dismissed.
2. Why was there no one when I came? Why did no one answer when I called? Is my hand too short to reach out and save? Have I not the power to deliver? See how, at my threat, the sea dries up, the rivers turn into desert, their fish dying, for lack of water.
3. I clothe the heavens in mourning: I make sackcloth their covering.
4. The Lord Yahweh has taught me so I speak as his disciple and I know how to sustain the weary. Morning after morning he wakes me up to hear, to listen like a disciple.
5. The Lord Yahweh has opened my ear. I have not rebelled, nor have I withdrawn.
6. I offered my back to those who strike me, my cheeks to those who pulled my beard; neither did I shield my face from blows, spittle and disgrace.
7. I have not despaired, for the Lord Yahweh comes to my help. So, like a flint I set my face, knowing that I will not be disgraced.
8. He who avenges me is near. Who then will accuse me? Let us confront each other. Who is now my accuser? Let him approach.
9. If the Lord Yahweh is my help. who will condemn me? All of them will wear out like cloth; the moth will devour them.
10. Let anyone among you who fears Yahweh listen to the voice of his servant. Whoever walks in darkness and has no light to shine for him, let him trust in the name of Yahweh, let him rely upon his God.
11. Yet all of you who kindle flames and carry about burning torches, go into the flames of your own fire, into the sparks you have kindled. This will befall you from my hand, you will lie down in torment.