1. These are the descendants of Esau that is, Edom. Esau married women of Canaan:
2. Adah, the daughter of Elon the Hittite, Oholibamah, the daughter of Anah, the son of Zibeon the Horite,
3. Basemath, the daughter of Ishmael and sister of Nebaioth.
4. Adah bore to Esau Eliphaz, Basemath bore Reuel,
5. Oholibamah bore Jeush, Jalam and Korah. These are the sons of Esau born to him in the land of Canaan.
6. Esau, with his wives, his sons and daughters, all the members of his household, his livestock, all his cattle and all the goods he had acquired in the land of Canaan, left for the land of Seir far removed from his brother Jacob.
7. For they had acquired too much to live together. The land where they were living at that time could not support them both because of their cattle.
8. That is why Edom settled in the hilly country of Seir. Esau is Edom.
9. These are the descendants of Esau, the father of Edom, in the mountainous region of Seir.
10. These are the names of Esau's sons: Eliphaz the son of Adah, Esau's wife, and Reuel the son of Basemath, Esau's wife.
11. The sons of Eliphaz were: Teman, Omar, Zepho, Gatam, Kenaz.
12. Eliphaz son of Esau had Timna for concubine and she bore him Amalek. These are the sons of Adah, Esau's wife.
13. These are the sons of Reuel: Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, Mizzah. These are the sons of Basemath, Esau's wife.
14. These are the sons of Esau's wife Oholibamah, daughter of Anah son of Zibeon: she bore him Jeush, Jalam and Korah.
15. These are the chiefs of the sons of Esau. The sons of Eliphaz, firstborn of Esau: chief Teman, chief Omar, chief Zepho,
16. chief Kenaz, chief Gatam, chief Amalek. These are the chiefs of Eliphaz in the land of Edom. These are the sons of Adah.
17. And these are the sons of Reuel son of Esau: Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, Mizzah. These are the chiefs of Reuel in the land of Edom; these are the sons of Basemath, Esau's wife.
18. And these are the sons of Oholibamah, Esau's wife: chief Jeush, Jalam, Korah. These are the chiefs of Esau's wife Oholibamah, daughter of Anah.
19. These are the sons of Esau. This is Edom and these are their chiefs.
20. These are the sons of Seir the Horite, inhabitants of the land: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah,
21. Dishon, Ezer, Dishan; these are the chiefs of the Horites, the sons of Seir in the land of Edom.
22. The sons of Lotan were Hori and Heman, and Lotan's sister was Timna.
23. These are the sons of Shobal: Alvan, Manahath, Ebal, Shepo, Onam.
24. These are the sons of Zibeon: Aiah, Anah - the Anah who found the hot springs in the wilderness as he pastured the donkeys of his father Zibeon.
25. These are the children of Anah: Dishon, Oholibamah daughter of Anah.
26. These are the sons of Dishon: Hemdan, Eshban, Ithran, Cheran.
27. These are the sons of Ezer: Bilhan, Zaavan, Akan.
28. These are the sons of Dishan: Uz and Aran.
29. These are the chiefs of the Horites: chief Lotan, chief Shobal, chief Zibeon, chief Anah,
30. chief Dishon, chief Ezer, chief Dishan. These are the chiefs of the Horites according to their clans in the land of Seir.
31. These are the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before an Israelite king reigned.
32. In Edom these reigned: Bela son of Beor; his city was called Dinhabah.
33. Bela died and Jobab son of Zerah, from Bozrah, succeeded him as king.
34. Jobab died and Husham of the land of the Temanites succeeded.
35. Husham died and Hadad, son of Bedad succeeded; he defeated the Midianites in the country of Moab, and his city was called Avith.
36. Hadad died and Samlah of Masrekah succeeded.
37. Samlah died and Shaul of Rehoboth-hannahar succeeded.
38. Shaul died and Baal-hanan son of Achbor succeeded.
39. Baal-hanan died and Hadad succeeded; his city was called Paul; his wife's name was Mehetabel, daughter of Matred, from Mezahab.
40. These are the names of the chiefs of Esau according to their clans and localities, by name: chiefs Timna, Alvah, Jetheth,
41. Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon,
42. Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar,
43. Magdiel, Iram. These are the chiefs of Edom according to their families and residence in the land that was theirs. (This is Esau, father of Edom).