1. As Jesus left the Temple, one of his disciples said, "Look, Master, at the enormous stones and wonderful buildings here!"
2. And Jesus answered, "You see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left upon another, but all will be torn down."
3. After a while, when Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, facing the Temple, Peter, James, John and Andrew approached him privately and asked,
4. "Tell us when this will be. What sign will be given us before all this happens?"
5. Then Jesus began to tell them, "Don't let anyone mislead you.
6. Many will come, taking my place, and say: 'I am the one you are waiting for,' and they will deceive many people.
7. When you hear of war and threats of war, don't be troubled; this must occur but the end is not yet.
8. Nation will fight nation and kingdom will oppose kingdom. There will be earthquakes everywhere and famines, too. And these will be like the first pains of childbirth.
9. Be on your guard, for you will be arrested and taken to Jewish courts. You will be beaten in synagogues; and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake to bear witness before them.
10. For the preaching of the Gospel to all nations has to come first.
11. So when you are arrested and brought to trial, don't worry about what you are to say; for you shall say what will be given you in that hour. It is not you who speak but the Holy Spirit.
12. Brother will betray brother, even to death, and the father his child. Children will turn against their parents and have them put to death.
13. You will be hated by all for my name's sake, but whoever holds out to the end will be saved.
14. So, when you see the idol of the oppressor set in the place where it should not be (may the reader understand!), then let those in Judea flee to the mountains.
15. If you are on the housetop, don't come down to take anything with you.
16. If you are in the field, don't turn back to fetch your cloak.
17. How hard it will be then for pregnant women and mothers with babies at the breast!
18. Pray that it may not happen in winter.
19. For this will be a time of distress such as was never known from the beginning when God created the world, until now and is never to be known again.
20. So that if the Lord had not shortened that time, no one would survive; but he decided to shorten it for the sake of some of his chosen.
21. And if anyone says to you at that time: 'Look, here is the Messiah! Look, he is there!' - do not believe it.
22. For false Messiahs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders in order to deceive even God's chosen people, if that were possible.
23. Then be on your guard, I have told you everything ahead of time.
24. Later on, in those days after that disastrous time, the sun will grow dark, the moon will not give its light,
25. the stars will fall out of the sky and the whole universe will be shaken.
26. Then people will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
27. And he will send the angels to gather his chosen people from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the sky.
28. Learn a lesson from the fig tree. As soon as its branches become tender and it begins to sprout leaves, you know that summer is near.
29. In the same way, when you see these things happening, know that the time is near, even at the door.
30. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all this has happened.
31. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
32. But, regarding that Day and that Hour, no one knows when it will come, not even the angels, not even the Son, but only the Father.
33. Be alert and watch, for you don't know when the time will come.
34. When a man goes abroad and leaves his home, he puts his servants in charge, giving to each one some responsibility; and he orders the doorkeeper to stay awake.
35. So stay awake, for you don't know when the Lord of the house will come, in the evening or at midnight, when the cock crows or before dawn.
36. If he comes suddenly, do not let him catch you asleep.
37. And what I say to you, I say to all: watch."