1. Thus the Lord GOD showed me: behold, he was forming locusts in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth; and lo, it was the latter growth after the king's mowings.
2. When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said, "O Lord GOD, forgive, I beseech thee! How can Jacob stand? He is so small!"
3. The LORD repented concerning this; "It shall not be," said the LORD.
4. Thus the Lord GOD showed me: behold, the Lord GOD was calling for a judgment by fire, and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land.
5. Then I said, "O Lord GOD, cease, I beseech thee! How can Jacob stand? He is so small!"
6. The LORD repented concerning this; "This also shall not be," said the Lord GOD.
7. He showed me: behold, the Lord was standing beside a wall built with a plumb line, with a plumb line in his hand.
8. And the LORD said to me, "Amos, what do you see?" And I said, "A plumb line." Then the Lord said, "Behold, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass by them;
9. the high places of Isaac shall be made desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste, and I will rise against the house of Jerobo'am with the sword."
10. Then Amazi'ah the priest of Bethel sent to Jerobo'am king of Israel, saying, "Amos has conspired against you in the midst of the house of Israel; the land is not able to bear all his words.
11. For thus Amos has said, `Jerobo'am shall die by the sword, and Israel must go into exile away from his land.'"
12. And Amazi'ah said to Amos, "O seer, go, flee away to the land of Judah, and eat bread there, and prophesy there;
13. but never again prophesy at Bethel, for it is the king's sanctuary, and it is a temple of the kingdom."
14. Then Amos answered Amazi'ah, "I am no prophet, nor a prophet's son; but I am a herdsman, and a dresser of sycamore trees,
15. and the LORD took me from following the flock, and the LORD said to me, `Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'
16. "Now therefore hear the word of the LORD. You say, `Do not prophesy against Israel, and do not preach against the house of Isaac.'
17. Therefore thus says the LORD: `Your wife shall be a harlot in the city, and your sons and your daughters shall fall by the sword, and your land shall be parceled out by line; you yourself shall die in an unclean land, and Israel shall surely go into exile away from its land.'"