1. Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, and make holiness perfect in the fear of God.
2. Open your hearts to us; we have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have taken advantage of no one.
3. I do not say this to condemn you, for I said before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together.
4. I have great confidence in you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with comfort. With all our affliction, I am overjoyed.
5. For even when we came into Macedo'nia, our bodies had no rest but we were afflicted at every turn -- fighting without and fear within.
6. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus,
7. and not only by his coming but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you, as he told us of your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more.
8. For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it (though I did regret it), for I see that that letter grieved you, though only for a while.
9. As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting; for you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us.
10. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation and brings no regret, but worldly grief produces death.
11. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every point you have proved yourselves guiltless in the matter.
12. So although I wrote to you, it was not on account of the one who did the wrong, nor on account of the one who suffered the wrong, but in order that your zeal for us might be revealed to you in the sight of God.
13. Therefore we are comforted. And besides our own comfort we rejoiced still more at the joy of Titus, because his mind has been set at rest by you all.
14. For if I have expressed to him some pride in you, I was not put to shame; but just as everything we said to you was true, so our boasting before Titus has proved true.
15. And his heart goes out all the more to you, as he remembers the obedience of you all, and the fear and trembling with which you received him.
16. I rejoice, because I have perfect confidence in you.