1. The portion of the sons of Joseph started on the east at the Jordan opposite Jericho (the Waters of Jericho) through the desert rising from Jericho into the highlands of Bethel;
2. from Bethel it went to Luz, and on towards the frontier of the Archites at Ataroth;
3. then passed downwards and westwards to the frontier of the Japhletites as far as the border of Lower Beth-Horon and on to Gezer, and reached as far as the sea.
4. Such was the heritage of the sons of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim.
5. As regards the territory of the sons of Ephraim, by clans, the frontier of their heritage ran from Ataroth-Arach to Upper Beth-Horon;
6. the frontier then reached as far as the sea . . . the Michmethath in the north, and the frontier turned east to Tanaath-Shiloh which it crossed in an easterly direction to Janoah;
7. it ran down to Ataroth and Naarah, touched Jericho and ended at the Jordan.
8. From Tappuah, the frontier ran westwards to the Torrent of Kanah and reached as far as the sea. Such was the heritage of the tribe of the sons of Ephraim, by clans,
9. apart from the towns reserved for the sons of Ephraim inside the heritage of the sons of Manasseh, all these towns and their villages.
10. The Canaanites living in Gezer were not driven out; they have remained in Ephraim to the present day but are obliged to do forced labour.