1. After the sabbath, at the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to visit the tomb.
2. Suddenly there was a violent earthquake: an angel of the Lord descending from heaven, came to the stone, rolled it from the entrance of the tomb, and sat on it.
3. His appearance was like lightning and his garment white as snow.
4. The guards trembled in fear and became like dead men when they saw the angel.
5. The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.
6. He is not here, for he is risen as he said. Come, see the place where they laid him;
7. then go at once and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead and is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there. This is my message for you."
8. They left the tomb at once in holy fear, yet with great joy, and they ran to tell the news to the disciples.
9. Suddenly, Jesus met them on the way and said, "Peace." The women approached him, embraced his feet and worshiped him.
10. But Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to set out for Galilee; there they will see me."
11. While the women were on their way, the guards returned to the city and some of them reported to the chief priests all that had happened.
12. The chief priests met with the Jewish authorities and decided to give the soldiers a good sum of money,
13. with this instruction, "Say that his disciples came by night while you were asleep, and stole the body of Jesus.
14. If Pilate comes to know of this, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble."
15. The soldiers accepted the money and did as they were told. This story has circulated among the Jews until this day.
16. As for the Eleven disciples, they went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.
17. When they saw Jesus, they bowed before him, although some doubted.
18. Then Jesus approached them and said, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.
19. Go, therefore, and make disciples from all nations. Baptize them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20. and teach them to fulfill all that I have commanded you. I am with you always until the end of this world."