1. This story throws light on what will happen in the kingdom of heaven. Ten bridesmaids went out with their lamps to meet the bridegroom.
2. Five of them were careless while the others were sensible.
3. The careless bridesmaids took their lamps as they were and did not bring extra oil.
4. But those who were sensible, brought with their lamps flasks of oil.
5. As the bridegroom delayed, they all grew drowsy and fell asleep.
6. But at midnight, a cry rang out: 'The bridegroom is here, come out and meet him!'
7. All the maidens woke up at once and trimmed their lamps.
8. Then the careless ones said to the sensible ones: 'Give us some oil, for our lamps are going out.'
9. The sensible ones answered: 'There may not be enough for both you and us. You had better go to those who sell and buy for yourselves.'
10. They were out buying oil when the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went with him to the wedding feast, and the doors were shut.
11. Later the rest of the bridesmaids arrived and called out: 'Lord, Lord, open to us.'
12. But he answered: 'Truly, I do not know you.'
13. So, stay awake, for you do not know the day nor the hour.
14. Imagine someone who, before going abroad, summoned his servants to entrust his property to them.
15. He gave five talents of silver to one, then two to another, and one to a third, each one according to his ability; and he went away.
16. He who received five talents went at once to do business with the money and gained another five.
17. The one who received two did the same and gained another two.
18. But the one with one talent dug a hole and hid his master's money.
19. After a long time, the master of those servants returned and asked for a reckoning.
20. The one who received five talents came with another five talents, saying: 'Lord, you entrusted me with five talents, but see I have gained five more with them.'
21. The master answered: 'Very well, good and faithful servant, since you have been faithful in a few things, I will entrust you with much more. Come and share the joy of your master.'
22. Then the one who had two talents came and said: 'Lord, you entrusted me with two talents; I have two more which I gained with them.'
23. The master said: 'Well, good and faithful servant, since you have been faithful in little things, I will entrust you with much more. Come and share the joy of your master.'
24. Finally, the one who had received a talent came and said: 'Master, I know that you are an exacting man. You reap what you have not sown and gather what you have not invested.
25. I was afraid, so I hid your money in the ground. Here, take what is yours.'
26. But his master replied: 'Wicked and worthless servant, you know that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I have not invested.
27. Then you should have deposited my money in the bank, and you would have given it back to me with interest on my return.
28. Therefore, take the talent from him, and give it to the one who has ten.
29. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who are unproductive, even what they have will be taken from them.
30. As for that useless servant, throw him out into the dark where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
31. "When the Son of Man comes in his glory with all his angels, he will sit on the throne of his Glory.
32. All the nations will be brought before him, and as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
33. so will he do with them, placing the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34. The King will say to those on his right: 'Come, blessed of my Father! Take possession of the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world.
35. For I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me drink.
36. I was a stranger and you welcomed me into your house. I was naked and you clothed me. I was sick and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to see me.'
37. Then the good people will ask him: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and give you food; thirsty and give you drink,
38. or a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
39. When did we see you sick or in prison and go to see you?'
40. The King will answer, 'Truly, I say to you: whenever you did this to these little ones who are my brothers and sisters, you did it to me.'
41. Then he will say to those on his left: 'Go, cursed people, out of my sight into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels!
42. For I was hungry and you did not give me anything to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink;
43. I was a stranger and you did not welcome me into your house; I was naked and you did not clothe me; I was sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'
44. They, too, will ask: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, thirsty, naked or a stranger, sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
45. The King will answer them: 'Truly, I say to you: whatever you did not do for one of these little ones, you did not do for me.'
46. And these will go into eternal punishment, but the just to eternal life."