1. Moses gathered the whole of Israel and said to them: "Listen, Israel, to the laws and norms which I teach you this day. Learn them and be careful to put them into practice.
2. Yahweh, our God, made a covenant with us in Horeb, and his covenant
3. was not only with our fathers, but with us as well who are all alive here today.
4. Yahweh spoke with us face to face from the midst of the fire in the mountain.
5. And I stood between Yahweh and you to transmit his word to you, since you could not go up the mountain for fear of the great fire. These were his words:
6. I am Yahweh, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, the house of slavery.
7. Do not have other gods before me.
8. Do not have idols, do not make any figure of things in the heaven or here below on the earth, or in the waters under the earth.
9. Do not kneel before them or worship them, because I, Yahweh, am your God, a jealous God who punishes the children until the third and fourth generation for the wickedness of their fathers who hate me.
10. But I am merciful to the thousandth generation to those who love me and obey my commandments.
11. Do not take the name of Yahweh, your God, in vain because Yahweh will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain.
12. Take care to keep holy the sabbath day, as Yahweh, your God, commands you.
13. You have six days to work and do your tasks.
14. But the seventh day is the Day of Rest in honor of Yahweh, your God. Do not do any work, you or your child, or your servant, or your ox, or your donkey, or any of your animals. Neither will the foreigner who lives in your land work. Your servant will rest just like you.
15. Remember that you were once enslaved in the land of Egypt from where Yahweh, your God, brought you out with his powerful hand and outstretched arm. For that reason, Yahweh, your God, commands you to observe the sabbath.
16. Honor your father and your mother as Yahweh, your God, has commanded, and you will live long and it will be well with you in the land which Yahweh, your God, gives you.
17. Do not kill.
18. Do not commit adultery.
19. Do not steal.
20. Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
21. Do not desire the wife of your neighbor. Do not covet the house of your neighbor, or his field, or his servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is his.
22. These are the words of Yahweh said to the whole assembly on the mountain when he spoke from the midst of the fire and the thick cloud. He said only this and he wrote these words on the two slabs of stone which he gave to me.
23. You heard that voice in the midst of darkness, while the mountain was becoming resplendent. Then all the heads of the tribes together with the elders gathered around me
24. and said: 'See, Yahweh, our God, has shown us his glory and greatness, and we have heard his voice from the midst of the fire. We now know that the word of Yahweh is life for man.
25. We are, nevertheless, going to die devoured by this terrible fire if we keep listening to the voice of Yahweh, our God.
26. What man can remain alive after listening to the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as he has now done for us?
27. Better that you go nearer to hear all the things that Yahweh, our God, will say to you. Then tell these to us that we may put them into practice.'
28. Yahweh heard your words and said to me, "I have heard what this people said and they have spoken well.
29. May they always have the same spirit, fear me and observe all my precepts that all may go well with you and with your children for all time.
30. Rise up and tell them to return to their tents in the fields.
31. But as for you, remain here with me that I may teach you all the commandments, precepts and laws which you have to teach that they may put them into practice in the land that I will give them as a possession."
32. Observe and carry out the things that Yahweh has commanded us. Do not turn aside from them either to the right or to the left.
33. Follow all the way which Yahweh has marked out for you, and you will live and be happy and you will live long in the land you are going to conquer.