1. This is what Yahweh showed me. He was forming a swarm of locusts just as the late sowing began to come up. It was the second growth which follows the king's mowing.
2. When they were about to finish devouring all the crops of the land, I said, "Yahweh, forgive! How shall Jacob survive, small as he is?"
3. Yahweh repented and said, "It shall not happen."
4. This is what Yahweh showed me: he was calling for burning heat. It consumed the great deep and was consuming the land.
5. I said, "Yahweh, stop! How shall Jacob survive small as he is?"
6. Yahweh relented and said, "This too shall not happen."
7. This is what Yahweh showed me. He was standing beside a wall with a plumb line in his hand.
8. The Lord asked me, "Amos, what do you see?" And I answered, "A plumb line." Then the Lord said, "Behold, I am measuring my people Israel with a plumb line. I will forgive them no more.
9. The high places of Isaac are to be made desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel laid waste. For I will arise, sword in hand, against the family of Jeroboam."
10. Amaziah, the priest of Bethel, then sent word to King Jeroboam of Israel, "Amos is conspiring against you in the very center of Israel; what he says goes too far.
11. These are his very words: Jeroboam shall die by the sword and Israel shall be exiled from its land."
12. Amaziah then said to Amos, "Off with you, seer, go back to the land of Judah. Earn your bread there by prophesying.
13. But never again prophesy at Bethel for it is a king's sanctuary and a national shrine."
14. Amos replied to Amaziah, "I am not a prophet or one of the fellow-prophets. I am a breeder of sheep and a dresser of sycamore trees.
15. But Yahweh took me from shepherding the flock and said to me: Go, and from me, tell my people Israel.
16. Now hear the word of Yahweh, you who say: No more prophecy against Israel, no more insults against the family of Isaac!
17. This is what Yahweh says: Your wife shall be made a harlot in the city, your sons and daughters shall fall by the sword, your land shall be divided up and given to others, and you yourself shall die in a foreign land, for Israel shall be driven far from its land."