1. "Call now; is there any one who will answer you? To which of the holy ones will you turn?
2. Surely vexation kills the fool, and jealousy slays the simple.
3. I have seen the fool taking root, but suddenly I cursed his dwelling.
4. His sons are far from safety, they are crushed in the gate, and there is no one to deliver them.
5. His harvest the hungry eat, and he takes it even out of thorns; and the thirsty pant after his wealth.
6. For affliction does not come from the dust, nor does trouble sprout from the ground;
7. but man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward.
8. "As for me, I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause;
9. who does great things and unsearchable, marvelous things without number:
10. he gives rain upon the earth and sends waters upon the fields;
11. he sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.
12. He frustrates the devices of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success.
13. He takes the wise in their own craftiness; and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick end.
14. They meet with darkness in the daytime, and grope at noonday as in the night.
15. But he saves the fatherless from their mouth, the needy from the hand of the mighty.
16. So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts her mouth.
17. "Behold, happy is the man whom God reproves; therefore despise not the chastening of the Almighty.
18. For he wounds, but he binds up; he smites, but his hands heal.
19. He will deliver you from six troubles; in seven there shall no evil touch you.
20. In famine he will redeem you from death, and in war from the power of the sword.
21. You shall be hid from the scourge of the tongue, and shall not fear destruction when it comes.
22. At destruction and famine you shall laugh, and shall not fear the beasts of the earth.
23. For you shall be in league with the stones of the field, and the beasts of the field shall be at peace with you.
24. You shall know that your tent is safe, and you shall inspect your fold and miss nothing.
25. You shall know also that your descendants shall be many, and your offspring as the grass of the earth.
26. You shall come to your grave in ripe old age, as a shock of grain comes up to the threshing floor in its season.
27. Lo, this we have searched out; it is true. Hear, and know it for your good."