1. "When you go forth to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
2. And when you draw near to the battle, the priest shall come forward and speak to the people,
3. and shall say to them, `Hear, O Israel, you draw near this day to battle against your enemies: let not your heart faint; do not fear, or tremble, or be in dread of them;
4. for the LORD your God is he that goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.'
5. Then the officers shall speak to the people, saying, `What man is there that has built a new house and has not dedicated it? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man dedicate it.
6. And what man is there that has planted a vineyard and has not enjoyed its fruit? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man enjoy its fruit.
7. And what man is there that has betrothed a wife and has not taken her? Let him go back to his house, lest he die in the battle and another man take her.'
8. And the officers shall speak further to the people, and say, 'What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go back to his house, lest the heart of his fellows melt as his heart.'
9. And when the officers have made an end of speaking to the people, then commanders shall be appointed at the head of the people.
10. "When you draw near to a city to fight against it, offer terms of peace to it.
11. And if its answer to you is peace and it opens to you, then all the people who are found in it shall do forced labor for you and shall serve you.
12. But if it makes no peace with you, but makes war against you, then you shall besiege it;
13. and when the LORD your God gives it into your hand you shall put all its males to the sword,
14. but the women and the little ones, the cattle, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourselves; and you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the LORD your God has given you.
15. Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far from you, which are not cities of the nations here.
16. But in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes,
17. but you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Per'izzites, the Hivites and the Jeb'usites, as the LORD your God has commanded;
18. that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices which they have done in the service of their gods, and so to sin against the LORD your God.
19. "When you besiege a city for a long time, making war against it in order to take it, you shall not destroy its trees by wielding an axe against them; for you may eat of them, but you shall not cut them down. Are the trees in the field men that they should be besieged by you?
20. Only the trees which you know are not trees for food you may destroy and cut down that you may build siegeworks against the city that makes war with you, until it falls.