2 Samuel, 7
1. Now when the king dwelt in his house, and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies round about,
2. the king said to Nathan the prophet, "See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent."
3. And Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart; for the LORD is with you."
4. But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan,
5. "Go and tell my servant David, `Thus says the LORD: Would you build me a house to dwell in?
6. I have not dwelt in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling.
7. In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, "Why have you not built me a house of cedar?"'
8. Now therefore thus you shall say to my servant David, `Thus says the LORD of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel;
9. and I have been with you wherever you went, and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.
10. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in their own place, and be disturbed no more; and violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly,
11. from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house.
12. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom.
13. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
14. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. When he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men;
15. but I will not take my steadfast love from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you.
16. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me; your throne shall be established for ever.'"
17. In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.
18. Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and said, "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that thou hast brought me thus far?
19. And yet this was a small thing in thy eyes, O Lord GOD; thou hast spoken also of thy servant's house for a great while to come, and hast shown me future generations, O Lord GOD!
20. And what more can David say to thee? For thou knowest thy servant, O Lord GOD!
21. Because of thy promise, and according to thy own heart, thou hast wrought all this greatness, to make thy servant know it.
22. Therefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, and there is no God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
23. What other nation on earth is like thy people Israel, whom God went to redeem to be his people, making himself a name, and doing for them great and terrible things, by driving out before his people a nation and its gods?
24. And thou didst establish for thyself thy people Israel to be thy people for ever; and thou, O LORD, didst become their God.
25. And now, O LORD God, confirm for ever the word which thou hast spoken concerning thy servant and concerning his house, and do as thou hast spoken;
26. and thy name will be magnified for ever, saying, `The LORD of hosts is God over Israel,' and the house of thy servant David will be established before thee.
27. For thou, O LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, hast made this revelation to thy servant, saying, `I will build you a house'; therefore thy servant has found courage to pray this prayer to thee.
28. And now, O Lord GOD, thou art God, and thy words are true, and thou hast promised this good thing to thy servant;
29. now therefore may it please thee to bless the house of thy servant, that it may continue for ever before thee; for thou, O Lord GOD, hast spoken, and with thy blessing shall the house of thy servant be blessed for ever."