0. To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when Saul sent men to watch his house in order to kill him.
1. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God, protect me from those who rise up against me,
2. deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men.
3. For, lo, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men band themselves against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD,
4. for no fault of mine, they run and make ready. Rouse thyself, come to my help, and see!
5. Thou, LORD God of hosts, art God of Israel. Awake to punish all the nations; spare none of those who treacherously plot evil. [Selah]
6. Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city.
7. There they are, bellowing with their mouths, and snarling with their lips -- for "Who," they think, "will hear us?"
8. But thou, O LORD, dost laugh at them; thou dost hold all the nations in derision.
9. O my Strength, I will sing praises to thee; for thou, O God, art my fortress.
10. My God in his steadfast love will meet me; my God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
11. Slay them not, lest my people forget; make them totter by thy power, and bring them down, O Lord, our shield!
12. For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies which they utter,
13. consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more, that men may know that God rules over Jacob to the ends of the earth. [Selah]
14. Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city.
15. They roam about for food, and growl if they do not get their fill.
16. But I will sing of thy might; I will sing aloud of thy steadfast love in the morning. For thou hast been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.
17. O my Strength, I will sing praises to thee, for thou, O God, art my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.