1. Yahweh spoke to Moses, "Say to Aaron: 'Stretch out your hand with your staff over the rivers, canals and ponds of Egypt
2. and cause frogs to cover all the country of Egypt."
3. The magicians of Egypt did the same by means of their secret formulas, and they brought frogs over the land of Egypt!
4. Then Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Ask Yahweh to remove the frogs from me and my people and I will send your people to sacrifice to Yahweh."
5. But Moses replied, "Let me know, please, when I am to make the petition for you, your officials and your people that you may be rid of frogs except in the Nile."
6. Pharaoh answered, "Tomorrow"; and Moses said, "Right, and that you may know that there is no one like Yah-weh, our God,
7. the frogs will disappear from you and your house, your servants and your people; only in the Nile will they remain."
8. With this Moses and Aaron left Pharaoh. Then Moses called on Yahweh concerning the frogs that he had inflicted on Pharaoh.
9. Yahweh did as Moses had promised Pharaoh and the frogs died in the houses, the farms and the fields.
10. The people piled them in heaps and the land was filled with a foul smell.
11. Now that relief had come, Pharaoh became even more stubborn and would not listen, just as Yahweh had foretold.
12. Yahweh said to Moses, "Tell Aaron to strike the dust of the earth with his staff and turn it into mosquitoes throughout the land."
13. Aaron did this; he struck the dust of the earth which turned into mosquitoes that tormented men and animals. All the dust of the earth all over Egypt turned into mosquitoes.
14. But when the magicians tried, by means of their secret formulas, to drive away the mosquitoes, they were not able to do so, and the mosquitoes kept tormenting men and animals.
15. The magicians said to Pharaoh, "This is the finger of God"; but Pharaoh was unmoved and did not listen, as Yahweh had foretold.
16. Yahweh said to Moses, "Rise early in the morning and go to Pharaoh, when he is on his way to the river. Say to him: This is Yahweh's message: Let my people go and worship me.
17. If you refuse to let them go, I will send horseflies on you, on your officials and on your people and your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be filled with horseflies and even the ground on which they are built.
18. But on that day I will spare the land of Goshen where my people are. No horseflies will be there and by this you may know that I, Yahweh, am in the land.
19. I will make a distinction between my people and your people. By tomorrow this will have happened."
20. Yahweh did this and dense swarms of horseflies invaded Pharaoh's house and the houses of all his people and devastated the whole country.
21. Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Go and sacrifice to your God in this country."
22. But Moses replied, "That would not be right. We offer to our God animals which are sacred for the Egyptians. If we were to offer in their presence a sacrifice which offends the Egyptians, wouldn't they stone us?
23. We must make a three-day journey into the desert and there we will sacrifice to Yahweh, our God, as he commands."
24. Pharaoh replied, "I will let you go and sacrifice to your God in the desert, but on condition that you do not go far. And pray to God for me!"
25. Moses said, "I am leaving you and I will pray to Yahweh for you, and tomorrow the horseflies will leave you, your officials and your people, but do not continue to deceive us by refusing to let the people go to the desert."
26. Moses left Pharaoh's house and prayed to Yahweh
27. who did as Moses had asked, and delivered Pharaoh, his officers and people from the horseflies. Not one horsefly was left.
28. But Pharaoh was relentless and refused to let the people go.