1. On turning back, we went up the way to Bashan. Og, the king of Bashan, and all his people came out to fight us in Edrei.
2. Then Yahweh said to me: "Do not be afraid because I am giving him into your hands together with his people and his land, that you may do to him what you did to Sihon, the Amorite king who lived in Heshbon."
3. And Yahweh gave Og, the king of Bashan, and all his people into our hands; and sparing no one, we killed everyone by the sword.
4. We took possession of all their cities; there was not one of them that escaped us. We captured the sixty cities: the whole of the Argob region - the kingdom of Og, in Bashan.
5. All these were cities fortified with high walls, with gates and bars, besides the innumerable villages in the open fields.
6. We completely destroyed them for the honor of Yahweh, killing all the people, as we had done with Sihon, the king of Heshbon: we wiped out all the cities, men, women and children.
7. The only things that we spared and kept for ourselves were the livestock and the plunder from the cities.
8. We took possession of the land occupied by the two Amorite kings, the land beyond the Jordan, from the brook of Arnon up to the Mount of Hermon
9. (the Sidonians call Hermon Sirion while the Amorites call it Senir.)
10. And we captured all the cities on the plateau and all the land of Galaad and Bashan as far as Salecah and Edrei, cities in the kingdom of Og, in Bashan.
11. (Og, the king of Bashan, was the last survivor in the race of the giants. His iron bed, which is four and a half meters long and two meters wide, can be seen in Rabbah, a city of the Ammonites.)
12. Then, we took possession of that land. I gave to the tribes of Reuben and Gad half of the mountains of Gilead with their cities, from Aroer situated at the edge of the brook of Arnon.
13. And I gave to half of Manasseh's tribe the other half of the kingdom of Gilead and the whole kingdom of Og, or Bashan with the whole of the Argob region. The whole land of Bashan was called the land of the giants.
14. Jair, a son of Manasseh, took all the territories of Argob up to the boundaries of Gesuri and Maacati. And he gave his name to these cities which until today are called villages of Jair.
15. I gave part of Gilead to Makhir.
16. And to the tribes of Reuben and Gad, I gave the territory from Gilead up to the brook of Arnon (the boundary lies halfway along the brook) and up to the river Jabbok, the boundary of the territory of the sons of Ammon.
17. It is bounded by the Arabah in the west, and in the east by the Jordan, from Kinnereth up to the sea in the desert, known as the Salt Sea, at the foot of Mount Pisgah.
18. Then I gave you these orders: "Yahweh, our God, has given you this land to own.
19. But only your women, your children and your livestock, your numerous livestock, will remain in the cities which I have given you.
20. All the strong men will go armed ahead of their Israelite brothers until Yahweh gives them a place where they can rest as he has given you, and they too possess the land which I will give you at the other side of the Jordan. Then each one of you will return to his own inheritance which I have given you."
21. I also gave the following order to Joshua: "You have seen with your own eyes what Yahweh has done with those two kings, and he will do the same to the kingdoms where you shall go.
22. Do not be afraid because Yahweh will fight for you."
23. Then I asked Yahweh:
24. "Yahweh, my Lord, you have begun to manifest your greatness and the power of your hand. For what God in the heavens and on the earth can do such works and deeds as you have done?
25. Do let me go and see that splendid land at the other side of the Jordan, those mountains without comparison and Lebanon, too."
26. But because of your fault, Yahweh was angry with me and did not hear me. And Yahweh said to me: "It is enough, speak no more of this to me,
27. but climb to the top of Mount Pisgah and from there look to the west and to the north, to the south, and to the east. You shall see the land, but you shall not cross over the Jordan.
28. Give your orders to Joshua, encourage him and strengthen him because he will be the one to bring this people across and distribute to them the land which you see."
29. We, then, remained in the valley opposite Bethpeor.