1. Abraham left there for the territory of the Negeb, and lived between Kadesh and Shur; and he stayed for a time in Gerar.
2. Abraham had said of his wife, "She is my sister"; so Abimelech, king of Gerar, sent for Sarah and had her brought to him.
3. But God came to Abimelech in a dream at night. He said to him, "You are a dead man because of this woman you have taken, for she is a married woman."
4. But Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, "My Lord, are you going to kill a pagan who acted with good intention?
5. Didn't he say to me: 'She is my sister'? And she said to me: 'He is my brother.' I acted in the simplicity of my heart and with innocent hands."
6. God said to him in the dream, "I knew that you did that in the simplicity of your heart and I prevented you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her.
7. Now give the woman back to the man for he is a prophet; he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not give her back, know that you will surely die; you and all yours will die."
8. So Abimelech rose early in the morning and called all his officials and told them all these things. The officials were terrified.
9. Abimelech then called Abraham and said to him, "What have you done to us? In what way have I wronged you, for you to bring against me and my kingdom such a grave sin? You have done to me things that should not be done."
10. Abimelech said to Abraham, "Why did you act as you did?"
11. Abraham said, "I thought there is no fear of God at all in this place and they will kill me because of my wife.
12. Yet it is true that she is my sister, the daughter of my father, but not of my mother, and she became my wife.
13. So, when the gods made me wander far from my father's family, I said to her: Now, if you love me, I beg you to say that I am your brother wherever we go."
14. Abimelech then brought sheep and cattle, male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham, and he had Sarah returned to her husband.
15. And he told Abraham, "See, you have the run of my land; live wherever you please."
16. And to Sarah he said, "I am giving your brother a thousand silver coins. It will be as a protection for you, and an evidence for all those who are with you. So none of them will think ill of you."
17. Then Abraham prayed to God and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his servants, so that they were able to have children again.
18. For Yahweh had made it impossible for Abimelech's wife and maids to have more children, because of Abraham's wife, Sarah.