1. Any hope of subduing him is vain, for the mere sight of him is overpowering.
2. He grows so ferocious when aroused that no one dares face him.
3. Who has attacked him and come off unharmed? No one under the sky.
4. I need hardly mention his limbs, nor describe his matchless strength.
5. Who can strip off his outer garment and penetrate his double breastplate?
6. Who can dare open the gates of his mouth to confront the terrors of his rows of teeth?
7. Rows of scales are on his back - rows of shields that are tightly sealed.
8. So closely fitted are they that no space intervenes;
9. so closely joined that they hold fast and cannot be parted.
10. Light flashes forth when he sneezes; like the light of dawn are his eyes.
11. Flaming torches and sparks of fire flash from his mouth
12. Smoke comes from his nostrils, like hot steam from a boiling pot.
13. His mere breath sets coals afire, with the flame pouring from his mouth.
14. Strength is in his neck, and terror dances before him.
15. Tightly set are the folds of his flesh, firmly cast and immovable.
16. His heart is hard as stone, as hard as the lower millstone.
17. When he rises up, the mighty are terrified, the waves of the sea fall back.
18. Should the sword reach him, it will not pierce him, nor will the spear, the dart, or the javelin.
19. Iron is to him no more than straw; and bronze, no more than rotten wood.
20. Arrows will not put him to flight; slingstones will be as wisps of hay.
21. Clubs are as splinters to him; he laughs at the whirring javelin.
22. His belly is as sharp as pottery sherds; he moves across the mire like a harrow.
23. He churns the depths into a seething caldron; he makes the sea fume like a burner.
24. Behind him he leaves a white gleaming wake, making the deep appear a hoary head of age.
25. He has no equal on earth: such a horrible creature he was made!
26. He makes all, however lofty, afraid; he is king over all the sons of pride.