1. Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
2. And during supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him,
3. Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God,
4. rose from supper, laid aside his garments, and girded himself with a towel.
5. Then he poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded.
6. He came to Simon Peter; and Peter said to him, "Lord, do you wash my feet?"
7. Jesus answered him, "What I am doing you do not know now, but afterward you will understand."
8. Peter said to him, "You shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part in me."
9. Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!"
10. Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but he is clean all over; and you are clean, but not every one of you."
11. For he knew who was to betray him; that was why he said, "You are not all clean."
12. When he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
13. You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.
14. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
15. For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.
16. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
17. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
18. I am not speaking of you all; I know whom I have chosen; it is that the scripture may be fulfilled, `He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.'
19. I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.
20. Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives any one whom I send receives me; and he who receives me receives him who sent me."
21. When Jesus had thus spoken, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, "Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me."
22. The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke.
23. One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was lying close to the breast of Jesus;
24. so Simon Peter beckoned to him and said, "Tell us who it is of whom he speaks."
25. So lying thus, close to the breast of Jesus, he said to him, "Lord, who is it?"
26. Jesus answered, "It is he to whom I shall give this morsel when I have dipped it." So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
27. Then after the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, "What you are going to do, do quickly."
28. Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him.
29. Some thought that, because Judas had the money box, Jesus was telling him, "Buy what we need for the feast"; or, that he should give something to the poor.
30. So, after receiving the morsel, he immediately went out; and it was night.
31. When he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of man glorified, and in him God is glorified;
32. if God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once.
33. Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, `Where I am going you cannot come.'
34. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
36. Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered, "Where I am going you cannot follow me now; but you shall follow afterward."
37. Peter said to him, "Lord, why cannot I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."
38. Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the cock will not crow, till you have denied me three times.