1. Then, leaving the Plains of Moab, Moses went up Mount Nebo, the peak of Pisgah opposite Jericho, and Yahweh showed him the whole country: Gilead as far as Dan,
2. the whole of Naphtali, the country of Ephraim and Manasseh, the whole country of Judah as far as the Western Sea,
3. the Negeb, and the region of the Valley of Jericho, city of palm trees, as far as Zoar.
4. Yahweh said to him, 'This is the country which I promised on oath to give to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying: I shall give it to your descendants. I have allowed you to see it for yourself, but you will not cross into it.'
5. There in the country of Moab, Moses, servant of Yahweh, died as Yahweh decreed;
6. he buried him in the valley, in the country of Moab, opposite Beth-Peor; but to this day no one has ever found his grave.
7. Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, his eye undimmed, his vigour unimpaired.
8. The Israelites wept for Moses on the Plains of Moab for thirty days. The days of weeping for the mourning rites of Moses came to an end.
9. Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him, and him the Israelites obeyed, carrying out the order which Yahweh had given to Moses.
10. Since then, there has never been such a prophet in Israel as Moses, the man whom Yahweh knew face to face.
11. What signs and wonders Yahweh caused him to perform in Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants and his whole country!
12. How mighty the hand and great the fear that Moses wielded in the eyes of all Israel!