1. A wise son [heareth] his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.
2. A man shall eat good by the fruit of [his] mouth: but the soul of the transgressors [shall eat] violence.
3. He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: [but] he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
4. The soul of the sluggard desireth, and [hath] nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.
5. A righteous [man] hateth lying: but a wicked [man] is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
6. Righteousness keepeth [him that is] upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.
7. There is that maketh himself rich, yet [hath] nothing: [there is] that maketh himself poor, yet [hath] great riches.
8. The ransom of a man's life [are] his riches: but the poor heareth not rebuke.
9. The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
10. Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised [is] wisdom.
11. Wealth [gotten] by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.
12. Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but [when] the desire cometh, [it is] a tree of life.
13. Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
14. The law of the wise [is] a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
15. Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors [is] hard.
16. Every prudent [man] dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open [his] folly.
17. A wicked messenger falleth into mischief: but a faithful ambassador [is] health.
18. Poverty and shame [shall be to] him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.
19. The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but [it is] abomination to fools to depart from evil.
20. He that walketh with wise [men] shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
21. Evil pursueth sinners: but to the righteous good shall be repayed.
22. A good [man] leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner [is] laid up for the just.
23. Much food [is in] the tillage of the poor: but there is [that is] destroyed for want of judgment.
24. He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
25. The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul: but the belly of the wicked shall want.