1. Let those who are slaves always show respect to their masters, so that no one may speak ill of God and his teaching.
2. Those whose masters are Christians should not show less respect under the pretext that they are members of the church. On the contrary, they must give a better service since they are doing good works on behalf of believers and dear friends. Teach and stress these things.
3. Whoever teaches in some other way, not following the sound teaching of our Lord Christ Jesus and true religious instruction,
4. is conceited and understands nothing. This one is crazy about controversies and discussions which result in envy, insults,
5. blows and constant arguments between people of depraved minds and far from the truth. For them, religion is merely for financial gain.
6. In reality, religion is a treasure if we are content with what we have.
7. We brought nothing into the world and we will leave it with nothing.
8. Let us then be content with having food and clothing.
9. Those who strive to be rich fall into temptations and traps. A lot of foolish and harmful ambitions plunge them into ruin and destruction.
10. Indeed, the love of money is the root of every evil. Because of this greed, some have wandered away from the faith, bringing on themselves afflictions of every kind.
11. But you, man of God, shun all this. Strive to be holy and godly. Live in faith and love, with endurance and gentleness.
12. Fight the good fight of faith and win everlasting life to which you were called when you made the good profession of faith in the presence of so many witnesses.
13. Now, in the presence of God who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus who gave the good testimony before Pontius Pilate,
14. I command you to keep the commandment. Keep yourself pure and blameless until the glorious coming of Christ Jesus, our Lord,
15. which God will bring about at the proper time, he, the magnificent sovereign, King of kings and Lord of lords.
16. To him, alone immortal, who lives in unapproachable light and whom no one has ever seen or can see, to him be honor and power for ever and ever. Amen!
17. Command the rich of this world not to be arrogant or to put their trust in the uncertainty of wealth. Let them rather trust in God who generously gives us all we need for our happiness.
18. Let them do good, be rich in good deeds and be generous; let them share with others.
19. In this way, they shall heap up a sound capital for the future and gain true life.
20. Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you; avoid useless and profane words, as well as discussions arising from false knowledge.
21. Some have lost the faith in accepting such knowledge. The grace of God be with you all.