1. The boy Samuel ministered to Yahweh under Eli's care in a time in which the word of Yahweh was rarely heard; visions were not seen.
2. One night Eli was lying down in his room, half blind as he was.
3. The lamp of God was still lighted and Samuel also lay in the house of Yahweh near the ark of God.
4. Then Yahweh called, "Samuel! Samuel!" Samuel answered, "I am here!"
5. and ran to Eli saying, "I am here, did you not call me?" But Eli said, "I did not call, go back to sleep." So he went and lay down.
6. Then Yahweh called again, "Samuel!" and Samuel stood up and went to Eli saying, "You called me; I am here." But Eli answered, "I did not call you, my son. Go back to sleep."
7. Samuel did not yet know Yahweh and the word of Yahweh had not yet been revealed to him.
8. But Yahweh called Samuel for the third time and, as he went again to Eli saying, "I am here for you have called me," Eli realized that it was Yahweh calling the boy.
9. So he said to Samuel, "Go, lie down, and if he calls you again, answer: "Speak, Yahweh, your servant listens."
10. Then Yahweh came and stood there calling as he did before, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel answered, "Speak, for your servant listens."
11. Then Yahweh spoke to Samuel, "Look, I am about to do something in Israel which will scare everyone who hears about it.
12. On that day I will carry out what I told Eli regarding his family. All will be fulfilled from beginning to end.
13. For I told him that I was about to sentence his family forever. He himself knew that his sons were blaspheming God, but he did not stop them.
14. This is why I have cursed the family of Eli. Their sin shall never be atoned for by sacrifice or by any offering."
15. Samuel lay down until morning and rose up early. Then he opened the doors of Yahweh's house. Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli,
16. but Eli called him and said, "Samuel, my son." Samuel answered, "I am here."
17. Eli asked, "What did Yahweh tell you? Do not hide it from me. Fear the punishment of God if you hide from me even one thing he told you."
18. So Samuel told him everything to the end and Eli said, "He is Yahweh. Let him do what seems good to him."
19. Samuel grew; Yahweh was with him and made all his words become true.
20. All Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, knew that Samuel was really Yahweh's prophet.
21. Yahweh would appear at Shiloh; there he revealed himself to Samuel by giving him his word.