1. And as for you, my son, be strengthened by the grace which is in Christ Jesus,
2. and by the things which you have heard from me through many witnesses. These things encourage faithful men, who shall then be suitable to teach others also.
3. Labor like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
4. No man, acting as a soldier for God, entangles himself in worldly matters, so that he may be pleasing to him for whom he has proven himself.
5. Then, too, whoever strives in a competition is not crowned, unless he has competed lawfully.
6. The farmer who labors ought to be the first to share in the produce.
7. Understand what I am saying. For the Lord will give you understanding in all things.
8. Be mindful that the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the offspring of David, has risen again from the dead, according to my Gospel.
9. I labor in this Gospel, even while chained like an evildoer. But the Word of God is not bound.
10. I endure all things for this reason: for the sake of the elect, so that they, too, may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus, with heavenly glory.
11. It is a faithful saying: that if we have died with him, we will also live with him.
12. If we suffer, we will also reign with him. If we deny him, he will also deny us.
13. If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful: he is not able to deny himself.
14. Insist on these things, testifying before the Lord. Do not be contentious about words, for this is useful for nothing but the subversion of listeners.
15. Be solicitous in the task of presenting yourself before God as a proven and unashamed worker who has handled the Word of Truth correctly.
16. But avoid profane or empty talk. For these things advance one greatly in impiety.
17. And their word spreads like a cancer: among these are Hymenaeus and Philetus,
18. who have fallen away from the truth by saying that the resurrection is already complete. And so they have subverted the faith of certain persons.
19. But the firm foundation of God remains standing, having this seal: the Lord knows those who are his own, and all who know the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.
20. But, in a large house, there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also those of wood and of clay; and certainly some are held in honor, but others in dishonor.
21. If anyone, then, will have cleansed himself from these things, he shall be a vessel held in honor, sanctified and useful to the Lord, prepared for every good work.
22. So then, flee from the desires of your youth, yet truly, pursue justice, faith, hope, charity, and peace, along with those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart.
23. But avoid foolish and undisciplined questions, for you know that these produce strife.
24. For the servant of the Lord must not be contentious, but instead he must be meek toward everyone, teachable, patient,
25. correcting with self-restraint those who resist the truth. For at any time God may give them repentance, so as to recognize the truth,
26. and then they may recover from the snares of the devil, by whom they are held captive at his will.