1. Now the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonas: and Jonas was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
2. And Jonas prayed to the Lord his God out of the belly of the fish.
3. And he said: I cried out of my affliction to the Lord, and he heard me: I cried out of the belly of hell, and thou hast heard my voice.
4. And thou hast cast me forth into the deep in the heart of the sea, and a flood hath compassed me: all thy billows, and thy waves have passed over me.
5. And I said: I am cast away out of the sight of thy eyes: but yet I shall see thy holy temple again.
6. The waters compassed me about even to the soul: the deep hath closed me round about, the sea hath covered my head.
7. I went down to the lowest parts of the mountains: the bars of the earth have shut me up for ever: and thou wilt bring up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.
8. When my soul was in distress within me, I remembered the Lord: that my prayer may come to thee, unto thy holy temple.
9. They that are vain observe vanities, forsake their own mercy.
10. But I with the voice of praise will sacrifice to thee: I will pay whatsoever I have vowed for my salvation to the Lord.
11. And the Lord spoke to the fish: and it vomited out Jonas upon the dry land.