1. Israel settled at Shittim and the men began to enjoy themselves with the Moabite women and to have sex with them.
2. These women invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods. There the people ate and bowed down before their gods.
3. The Israelites prostituted themselves to the god of Peor, so Yahweh's anger flared against them.
4. He said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of these people and hang them in broad daylight before Yahweh, so that his fierce anger may turn away from Israel."
5. So Moses told the Israelite judges, "Each of you shall slay any of your men who have joined in worshiping the Baal of Peor."
6. Then a man, an Israelite, came back bringing a Midianite woman to his family in view of Moses and the Israelite community while they were weeping at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.
7. When Phinehas, a son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest saw this, he left the assembly, took a spear in his hand
8. and followed the Israelite into the tent. There he drove the spear through both the man and the woman. So the plague against the Israelites was checked
9. but those who had already died numbered twenty-four thousand.
10. Yahweh spoke to Moses,
11. "Phinehas, son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned away the blows of my anger from the sons of Israel, zealous as he was for me; he has defended my honor among you. Because of this, I did not feel zealous for my honor so that I should destroy the people of Israel.
12. Therefore tell him that I am making with him a covenant of friendship.
13. I grant to him and his descendants that they be my priests forever, because he was zealous for his God and made atonement for the sons of Israel."
14. The Israelite slain with the Midianite woman was Zimri, son of Salu, a leader of a Simeonite family.
15. And the name of the Midianite woman who was slain was Cozbi, daughter of Zur, a tribal chief of a Midianite family.
16. Yahweh said to Moses,
17. "Attack the Midianites and crush them,
18. for they have been your enemies, deceiving you with regard to Peor and with regard to Cozbi, their kinswoman, daughter of a Midianite leader, who was slain on the day of the plague because of Peor." After the plague, it happened that...