2 Samuel, 7
1. Once the king had settled into his palace and Yahweh had granted him rest from all the enemies surrounding him,
2. the king said to the prophet Nathan, 'Look, I am living in a cedar-wood palace, while the ark of God is under awnings.'
3. Nathan said to the king, 'Go and do whatever you have in mind, for Yahweh is with you.'
4. But that very night, the word of Yahweh came to Nathan:
5. 'Go and tell my servant David, "Yahweh says this: Are you to build me a temple for me to live in?
6. I have never lived in a house from the day when I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until today, but have kept travelling with a tent for shelter.
7. In all my travels with all the Israelites, did I say to any of the judges of Israel, whom I had commanded to shepherd my people Israel: Why do you not build me a cedar-wood temple?"
8. This is what you must say to my servant David, "Yahweh Sabaoth says this: I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be leader of my people Israel;
9. I have been with you wherever you went; I have got rid of all your enemies for you. I am going to make your fame as great as the fame of the greatest on earth.
10. I am going to provide a place for my people Israel; I shall plant them there, and there they will live and never be disturbed again; nor will they be oppressed by the wicked any more, as they were in former times
11. ever since the time when I instituted judges to govern my people Israel; and I shall grant you rest from all your enemies. Yahweh furthermore tells you that he will make you a dynasty.
12. And when your days are over and you fall asleep with your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir, your own son to succeed you (and I shall make his sovereignty secure.
13. He will build a temple for my name) and I shall make his royal throne secure for ever.
14. I shall be a father to him and he a son to me; if he does wrong, I shall punish him with a rod such as men use, with blows such as mankind gives.
15. But my faithful love will never be withdrawn from him as I withdrew it from Saul, whom I removed from before you.
16. Your dynasty and your sovereignty will ever stand firm before me and your throne be for ever secure." '
17. Nathan related all these words and this whole revelation to David.
18. King David then went in, sat down in Yahweh's presence and said: 'Who am I, Lord Yahweh, and what is my lineage, for you to have led me as far as this?
19. Yet, to you, Lord Yahweh, this seemed too little, and now you extend your promises for your servant's family into the distant future. Such is human destiny, Lord Yahweh.
20. What more can David say to you, since you, Lord Yahweh, know all about your servant?
21. Because of your promise and since you were so inclined, you have had the generosity to reveal this to your servant.
22. That is why you are great, Lord Yahweh; there is no one like you, no God but you alone, as everything that we have heard confirms.
23. Is there another people on earth like your people, like Israel, whom a god proceeded to redeem, to make them his people and to make a name for himself by performing great and terrible things on their behalf, by driving out nations and their gods before his people?-
24. for you constituted your people Israel your own people for ever and you, Yahweh, became their God.
25. 'Now, Yahweh God, may the promise which you have made for your servant and for his family stand firm forever as you have said,
26. so that your name will be exalted for ever and people will say, "Israel's God is Yahweh Sabaoth." Your servant David's dynasty will be secure before you,
27. since you, Yahweh Sabaoth, the God of Israel, have disclosed to your servant, "I am going to build you a dynasty." Hence, your servant has ventured to offer this prayer to you.
28. Yes, Lord Yahweh, you are God indeed, your words are true and you have made this generous promise to your servant.
29. What is more, you have deigned to bless your servant's dynasty, so that it may remain for ever before you; for you, Lord Yahweh, have spoken; and may your servant's dynasty be blessed with your blessing for ever.'