1. But you (Bethlehem) Ephrathah, the least of the clans of Judah, from you will come for me a future ruler of Israel whose origins go back to the distant past, to the days of old.
2. Hence Yahweh will abandon them only until she who is in labour gives birth, and then those who survive of his race will be reunited to the Israelites.
3. He will take his stand and he will shepherd them with the power of Yahweh, with the majesty of the name of his God, and they will be secure, for his greatness will extend henceforth to the most distant parts of the country.
4. He himself will be peace! Should the Assyrian invade our country, should he set foot in our land, we shall raise seven shepherds against him, eight leaders of men;
5. they will shepherd Assyria with the sword, the country of Nimrod with naked blade. He will save us from the Assyrian, should he invade our country, should he set foot inside our frontiers.
6. Then what is left of Jacob, surrounded by many peoples, will be like a dew from Yahweh, like showers on the grass, which do not depend on human agency and are beyond human control.
7. Then what is left of Jacob, surrounded by many peoples, will be like a lion among the forest beasts, like a fierce lion among flocks of sheep trampling as he goes, mangling his prey which no one takes from him.
8. You will be victorious over your foes and all your enemies will be torn to pieces.
9. When that day comes- declares Yahweh- I shall tear your horses away from you, I shall destroy your chariots;
10. I shall tear the cities from your country, I shall overthrow all your fortresses;
11. I shall tear the spells out of your hands and you will have no more soothsayers;
12. I shall tear away your images and your sacred pillars from among you, and no longer will you worship things which your own hands have made!
13. I shall uproot your sacred poles and shall destroy your cities!
14. In furious anger I shall wreak vengeance on the nations who have disobeyed me!