1. Put the trumpet to your lips! Like an eagle, disaster is swooping on Yahweh's home! Because they have violated my covenant and been unfaithful to my Law,
2. in vain will they cry, 'My God!' In vain, 'We, Israel, know you!'
3. Israel has rejected the good, the enemy will pursue them.
4. They have set up kings, but without my consent, and appointed princes, but without my knowledge. With their silver and gold, they have made themselves idols, but only to be destroyed.
5. I spurn your calf, Samaria! My anger blazes against them! How long will it be before they recover their innocence?
6. For it is the product of Israel- a craftsman made the thing, it is no god at all! The calf of Samaria will be broken to pieces!
7. Since they sow the wind, they will reap the whirlwind; stalk without ear, it will never yield flour- or if it does, foreigners will swallow it.
8. Israel has himself been swallowed; now they are lost among the nations like something no one wants,
9. for having made approaches to Assyria- like a wild donkey, all alone. Ephraim has rented lovers
10. and because he has rented them from the nations I am now going to round them up; soon they will feel the weight of the king of princes!
11. Ephraim keeps building altars for his sins, these very altars are themselves a sin.
12. However much of my Law I write for him, Ephraim regards it as alien to him.
13. They offer sacrifices to me and eat the meat, they do not win Yahweh's favour. On the contrary, he will remember their guilt and punish their sins; they will have to go back to Egypt.
14. Israel has forgotten his Maker and has built palaces, while Judah keeps on building fortified towns; but I shall send fire down on his cities to devour their citadels.