1. After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Beth-za'tha, which has five porticoes.
3. In these lay a multitude of invalids, blind, lame, paralyzed.
5. One man was there, who had been ill for thirty-eight years.
6. When Jesus saw him and knew that he had been lying there a long time, he said to him, "Do you want to be healed?"
7. The sick man answered him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is troubled, and while I am going another steps down before me."
8. Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your pallet, and walk."
9. And at once the man was healed, and he took up his pallet and walked. Now that day was the sabbath.
10. So the Jews said to the man who was cured, "It is the sabbath, it is not lawful for you to carry your pallet."
11. But he answered them, "The man who healed me said to me, `Take up your pallet, and walk.'"
12. They asked him, "Who is the man who said to you, `Take up your pallet, and walk'?"
13. Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, as there was a crowd in the place.
14. Afterward, Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, "See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse befall you."
15. The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had healed him.
16. And this was why the Jews persecuted Jesus, because he did this on the sabbath.
17. But Jesus answered them, "My Father is working still, and I am working."
18. This was why the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but also called God his Father, making himself equal with God.
19. Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever he does, that the Son does likewise.
20. For the Father loves the Son, and shows him all that he himself is doing; and greater works than these will he show him, that you may marvel.
21. For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will.
22. The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son,
23. that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
24. Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
25. "Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
26. For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself,
27. and has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of man.
28. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice
29. and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.
30. "I can do nothing on my own authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.
31. If I bear witness to myself, my testimony is not true;
32. there is another who bears witness to me, and I know that the testimony which he bears to me is true.
33. You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth.
34. Not that the testimony which I receive is from man; but I say this that you may be saved.
35. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light.
36. But the testimony which I have is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has granted me to accomplish, these very works which I am doing, bear me witness that the Father has sent me.
37. And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
38. and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
39. You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40. yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
41. I do not receive glory from men.
42. But I know that you have not the love of God within you.
43. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
44. How can you believe, who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
45. Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope.
46. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote of me.
47. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"