1. As the morning passeth, so hath the king of Israel Israel was a child, and I loved him: and I called my son out of Egypt.
2. As they called them, they went away from before their face: they offered victims to Baalim, and sacrificed to idols.
3. And I was like a foster father to Ephraim, I carried them in my arms: and they knew not that I healed them.
4. I will draw them with the cords of Adam, with the bands of love : and I will be to them as one that taketh off the yoke on their jaws: and I put his meat to him that he might eat.
5. He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king: because they would not be converted.
6. The sword hath begun in his cities, and it shall consume his chosen men, and sha.ll devour their heads.
7. And my people shall long for my return: but a yoke shall be put upon them together, which shall not be taken off.
8. How shall I deal with thee, O Ephraim, shall I protect thee, O Israel? how shall I make thee as Adama, shall I set thee as Seboim? my heart is turned within me, my repentance is stirred up.
9. I will not execute the fierceness of my wrath: I will not return to destroy Ephraim: because I am God, and not man: the holy one in the midst of thee, and I will not enter into the city.
10. They shall walk after the Lord, he shall roar as a lion: because he shall roar, and the children of the sea shall fear.
11. And they shall fly away like a bird out of Egypt, and like a dove out of the land of the Assyrians: and I will place them in their own houses, saith the Lord.
12. Ephraim hath compassed me about with denials, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Juda went down as a witness with God, and is faithful with the saints.