1. The sin of Ephraim appears clearly; the wickedness of Samaria is obvious. They cheat one another, they break into houses while bandits raid outside.
2. They do not realize that I am mindful of their evil deeds. They are engulfed by their sins which are always before me.
3. They amuse the king with their wickedness and the officials with their trickery.
4. They are and remain adulterers, like an oven heated by a baker; he has not to stir the fire from the time the dough is kneaded until it rises.
5. On the day of the king his officials get drunk and the king joins hands with the revelers.
6. In their plotting they burn like an oven; all night their anger smolders and in the morning blazes like a fire.
7. They are all heated like an oven and they devour their own rulers; all their kings fall but none of them calls on me for help.
8. Ephraim mixes with other nations. He is like a half-baked loaf;
9. the nations around him consume his strength but he is unaware of it. He has become old and he does not know it.
10. Israel's arrogance is witness against him but even so they will not turn back to Yahweh, their God, or search for him.
11. Ephraim is like a silly pigeon, now calling on Egypt, now turning to Assyria.
12. But wherever they turn I shall throw my net over them for they rebelled against me and they will fall like birds.
13. Woe to them who fled far from me; disgrace will fall on those who deceived me. I wanted to redeem them but they spoke evil of me.
14. They did not call on me sincerely when they groaned on their beds because of their wheat and wine and turned to me.
15. When I made them successful and strong, they plotted evil against me.
16. Now they turn to nothingness. They are deceptive as a twisted bow. Their leaders will fall by the sword because of their insolent talk; in the land of Egypt, people will make fun of them.