1. Israel left with all he owned and reached Beersheba where he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
2. God spoke to Israel in visions that he had during the night, "Jacob! Jacob!" "Here I am," he said.
3. "I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation.
4. I will go with you to Egypt and I will bring you back again and Joseph's hand will close your eyes."
5. Jacob left Beersheba and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father with their little children and their wives in the wagons that Joseph had sent to fetch him.
6. They also took their flocks and all that they had acquired in Canaan. And so it was that Jacob came to Egypt and with him all his family,
7. his sons and his grandsons, his daughters and his granddaughters, in short all his children he took with him to Egypt.
8. Here are the names of the descendants of Israel who came to Egypt: Reuben, Jacob's firstborn,
9. and the sons of Reuben: Hanoch, Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi.
10. the sons of Simeon: Jemuel, Jamin, Ohad, Jachin, Zohar, and Shaul, whose mother was a Canaanite.
11. The sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
12. The sons of Judah: Er, Onan, Shelah, Perez, and Zerah (but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan); and the sons of Perez were Hezron and Hamul.
13. The sons of Issachar: Tola, Puvah, Job, and Shimron.
14. The sons of Zebulun: Sered, Elon, and Jah'leel
15. (these are the sons of Leah, Jacob's wife, who were born in Paddan-aram, together with his daughter Dinah; altogether his sons and his daughters numbered thirty-three).
16. The sons of Gad: Zip'ion, Haggai, Shuni, Ezbon, Eri, Arodi, and Areli.
17. The sons of Asher: Imnah, Ishvah, Ishvi, Beriah, with Serah their sister. And the sons of Beri'ah: Heber and Malchiel.
18. These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter; and Jacob was their father - sixteen persons.
19. The sons of Rachel, Jacob's wife: Joseph and Benjamin.
20. And to Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, whose mother was Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera, the priest of On.
21. And the sons of Benjamin: Bela, Becher, Ashbel, Gera, Naaman, Ehi, Rosh, Muppim, Huppim, and Ard
22. (these are the sons of Rachel - fourteen).
23. The children of Dan: Hushim.
24. The sons of Naphtali: Jahzeel, Guni, Jezer, and Shillem
25. (these are the sons of Bilhah, whom Laban gave to Rachel his daughter, and Jacob was their father - seven persons in all).
26. The total number of all the persons who came to Egypt with Jacob, all who were of his own blood, not counting the wives of his sons, was sixty-six.
27. With the two sons born to Joseph in Egypt, the total number of Jacob's household that came to Egypt was seventy.
28. Jacob sent Judah ahead to let Joseph know he was coming and that he would soon arrive in the land of Goshen.
29. Joseph got his chariot ready in order to meet Israel his father in Goshen. He presented himself, threw his arms around his father and wept on his shoulder for a long time.
30. Israel said to Joseph, "Now I can die, for I have seen your face and know you are alive."
31. After that Joseph said to his brothers and all his father's family, "I will go and give the news to Pharaoh and tell him that my brothers and my father's family who were in the land of Canaan have come to me.
32. I will also tell him that you are shepherds, keeping livestock, and have brought your flocks and cattle and all your belongings.
33. So when Pharaoh summons you and says: 'What is your occupation?'
34. you will say: 'Your servants keep flocks and herds; it has been so since our youth, and for our fathers before us.' Then you will settle in the land of Goshen, for the Egyptians detest all shepherds."