1 John, 1
1. Something which has existed since the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our own eyes, which we have watched and touched with our own hands, the Word of life -- this is our theme.
2. That life was made visible; we saw it and are giving our testimony, declaring to you the eternal life, which was present to the Father and has been revealed to us.
3. We are declaring to you what we have seen and heard, so that you too may share our life. Our life is shared with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.
4. We are writing this to you so that our joy may be complete.
5. This is what we have heard from him and are declaring to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.
6. If we say that we share in God's life while we are living in darkness, we are lying, because we are not living the truth.
7. But if we live in light, as he is in light, we have a share in another's life, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.
8. If we say, 'We have no sin,' we are deceiving ourselves, and truth has no place in us;
9. if we acknowledge our sins, he is trustworthy and upright, so that he will forgive our sins and will cleanse us from all evil.
10. If we say, 'We have never sinned,' we make him a liar, and his word has no place in us.